Catherine’s 8 Tips For Avoiding Holiday Weight Gain – cross-posted at BlogHer Health & Wellness
Will you be trying to avoid gaining weight this holiday season? If so, you’re not alone. But this is a tough time of year to be watching your weight.
So…What can you do to avoid the dreaded holiday weight gain?
Well, its NOT diet (save that for your New Year’s resolution).
Until then, here are my top 8 tips for avoiding weight gain this holiday season…
2. Try not to go to holiday parties hungry. When possible, eat a healthy meal before you attend the party. You will make much better food choices if you are not starving when you arrive to the party.
3. If you must indulge in holiday treats, remember that portion control is key. Just have one cookie, rather than a handful. Or have a small piece of pie, rather than a large piece. It’s okay to indulge, just try not to over-indulge.
4. Try making your favorite recipes healthier. I made a delicious low sugar pumpkin cheesecake for Thanksgiving. Just about every recipe has a healthy version, and lucky for you, they can all be found with a click of your mouse. Here are some healthy holiday cookie recipes. And here is a low-fat heart healthy recipe for eggnog.
5. Burn a few extra calories by having fun and dancing to your favorite holiday music. Don’t just listen to those holiday tunes, burn calories by dancing to them too. Kids love it when mom dances with them.
6. When possible, avoid stress. I know this is easier said then done, especially at this time of the year. But many of us are emotional eaters, and stress is an emotion that can really pack on the pounds. Do what ever possible to avoid stress.
7. Dress for success. Try to wear snug fitting clothing, it will make you more conscious of your food intake. And we usually look thinner when we’re not wearing clothes that are too bagging.
8. As always, avoid processed foods. Remember, you are what you eat.
So, those are my tips. Do you have any tips for avoiding holiday weight gain? If so, let us know in comments.
Here is a round-up of other women blogging on ways to avoid gaining weight during the holiday season…
- From Raising Healthy Eaters – Top 5 Ways to Avoid Holiday Weight Gain
- From Mommies Magazine – Fitness Tips to Avoid Holiday Weight Gain
- From 3 Healthy Chicks – Tips to Avoid Holiday Weight Gain
- From Spin Diva – Avoid Holiday Weight Gain
- From Healthy Moms – Keep In Shape This Holiday Season
- From KarlyP – How to Avoid Holiday Weight Gain (and Holiday Overwhelment)