Eat Healthy For Life, Not Weight Loss

Woman eating an appleWe know that the food we choose to put into our body can have a huge affect on our health and quality of life, but many of us still choose to eat unhealthy foods.  Let’s face it, the unhealthy stuff tastes really good, and we don’t usually have cravings for healthy food.  That’s exactly why obesity is such a large problem for both adults and children in our country…But is dieting the answer?  I don’t think so.  As we all know, dieting can often lead to a roller coaster of weight loss and weight gain, that leaves many weighing more in the long run.

So if dieting isn’t the answer…What is?

Well, I don’t think there is just one answer to this question.  There are a million reasons why people become overweight, and once overweight, weight loss can be very difficult.  That’s why focusing on a healthy eating lifestyle needs to be more important than actual dieting and weight loss.

The thing is – Your overall health is not determined simply by the numbers on a scale or where you fall on a BMI chart.  It’s much more complicated than that.  Obviously, these things are important guidelines, but they are certainly not the holy grail of good health.

Eating healthy shouldn’t just be a mantra for the overweight, everyone at every weight should be striving to eat the most healthy diet they can.  Even a person at a healthy weight is at risk for heart disease (and other medical problems) if they are choosing to eat an unhealthy diet.  When it comes to our health most things seem to be out of our control, the one thing that isn’t out of our control is what we choose to put into our body.  And study after study is pointing to the importance of healthy food choices in our overall health and well-being.  That’s why focusing on the food and not just the scale is so important.

The truth is…Every time you choose to eat something healthy rather than something unhealthy, you’re doing your body good.  So, if you’re overweight, don’t go on a diet.  Instead, begin to replace some of your unhealthy food choices with healthy ones.

• Drink water instead of soda.
  • Drive past your favorite fast food place.
  • Avoid foods high in fat and sodium.
  • Increase the amount of fruits and vegetables in your diet.
  • Eat less processed foods.

Here are some posts I’ve written that you might find helpful…

Are you trying to make healthier food choices?  How are you doing with that?  Have you blogged about your struggles with food?  Do you have any advice for other women trying to eat a healthier diet?  Let us know in comments.

18 comments for “Eat Healthy For Life, Not Weight Loss

1. April 29, 2010 at 12:05 pm

I am always reminding my patients that it doesn’t matter what they weigh; it matters how their pants fit! They should be drinking water, unsweetened iced tea, or milk. No other cold drinks, except maybe a little seltzer water occasionally. Preventing diabetes and obesity by teaching folks how to tell the difference between real food and manufactured calories at “Your Health is on Your Plate.” http://yourhealthisonyourplate.com Roxanne Sukol MD

2. Lorraine
    August 30, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I hate dieting and this article is a breath of fresh air. I will certainly try and eat less processed food and eat more fresh fruits and vegetables. That sounds easy enough.Bob Revolution stroller sale mom.

3. Cosmetic Dentistry San Francisco
    September 8, 2011 at 7:50 pm

One of the suggestion is to incorporate honey into your diet. It will keep your sugar level steady so you stay without being hungry longer.

4. October 13, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Avoiding sugar and grains made all the difference for me! When I focus on vegetables and lean proteins, and drink plenty of water, I lose weight.

5. November 16, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I just took a giant leap…I stopped buying diet sodas at the grocery store. I was drinking at least one two-liter bottle a day plus some…
    Now, when I am out and about, I will treat myself to a diet drink from a fast-food restaurant, and I still crave the stuff. However, I know it is bad for me. I really think the diet soda makes me want to eat more. I’m hoping that by not keeping it in the house, the cravings will go away. I find myself drinking much more water and coffee (for the caffeine).
    Keep sharing these great articles!
    Lizbeth

6. Ipod Touch 32gb 4th Generation
    November 20, 2011 at 1:33 am

I definitely agree on this post. If you eat healthy then there’s no reason to diet.

7. January 4, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Simply want to say your article is as surprising. The clearness in your post is just nice and i could assume you’re an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission allow me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the enjoyable work.

8. January 25, 2012 at 3:05 pm

This is a great blog with great advice!! Everyone could learn from eating healthier.
    metal roofs

9. cheap ipad 2 for sale
    February 5, 2012 at 5:05 am

I could not aggree more! People struggle to lose weight on all sorts of crazy diets, all they really need to do is focus on eating healthy for life and the rest will take care of its self.

10. March 4, 2012 at 1:40 am

Keep sharing these great articles!

11. May 23, 2012 at 4:49 am

Just choosing to drink a glass of water over a soda is an easy step toward being more healthy. It quenches your thirst better also! This is a great easy step anyone can start with.

12. Vitamins gnc
    July 9, 2012 at 2:28 am

Jul fifteen, 2010· the final 18 months have observed the world of anti-aging switched on it’s brain, while scientists announce the particular holy grail of technological try : anatomical anti-aging.Anti Aging News

13. July 31, 2012 at 5:45 pm

The problem with any subscribed diet is that most people need some individualization that can only be determined through either experimentation of their own, or with the help of a physician and/or dietician. There is no holy grail fix-all diet out there. What’s healthy for one person can be quite unhealthy for another.

Water is obviously much better than soda for anyone. Store-bought soda is probably one of the worst things a person can ingest just below bleach and rat poison.

14. Diet Plans, Weight Loss, Increase Metabolism, Flatten Stomach/ Belly, Hard Abs, Shed Pounds, Feel Better, Flush colon, Feel Better, More Energy, Healthy, Lose Weight, Rock hard Abs, Lower cholesterol, Improve Digestion
    October 11, 2012 at 4:34 pm

The speedy red wolf jumped over the lazy dog

15. December 17, 2012 at 10:59 am

Hi, I do believe this is an excellent site. I stumbledupon it 😉 I’m going to return yet again since I book-marked it. Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you be rich and continue to help other people.

16. Shelly Hulse - Arizona
    December 27, 2012 at 1:19 am

What s great concept: “Eat healthy for life and not for weight loss”. If you follow only this advice you could lose unwanted weight without any hassle.

17. February 3, 2013 at 6:21 am

Hi! I could have sworn I’ve been to this website before but after reading through some of the post I realized it’s new to me.

Anyways, I’m definitely delighted I found it and I’ll be bookmarking
    and checking back frequently!

Comments are closed.